My beef bourguignon
By: Garry Waite
My Beef Bourginon is a heart warming dish which is best served with creamed potato.
4 – 6
- 1 Kilo of diced braising steak
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- Pack of bacon or pancetta diced into lardons
- 2 cloves of crushed finely chopped garlic
- 12 shallots peeled and left whole
- 120 grams of sliced button mushrooms
- Dessert spoon of tomato purée
- 2 sprigs of thyme and a bay leaf (you can use dry thyme but just a sprinkle)
- 2 beef stock cubes and fine black pepper
- Table spoon of flour (if you prefer you can finish with corn flour at the end)
- 3 glasses of good red wine
Step by Step Instructions
Dust the beef in the flour until evenly coated, then in a large pan sauté off the beef in a glug of olive oil until golden brown. Remove from pan and put in the onions and garlic. When soft return the beef, stir well adding the crumbled stock cubes and black pepper and herbs.
Either leave covered, on top of the stove on a very low heat for 40 minutes or transfer to a lidded casserole dish and place in an oven at 180ºC.
Return to the oven for a further hour.
Pour in the wine, stir well then add a half litre of water and the tomato purée.
In a separate pan sauté off the bacon, shallots and mushrooms until brown and add to the beef mixture.
TO SERVE In a deep soup/stew bowl with creamed potato and French beans and if you’re feeling ‘Chefy’ fry triangles of bread then dip into chopped parsley before decorating the beef.
Bon Appétit !